Microgrid: what are the benefits?
The installation of a microgrid can facilitate:
- savings on electricity costs, by taking power from the grid only at times when it is cheaper, thanks to distributed generation and batteries to boost self-consumption;
- the creation of an additional source of income thanks to the possibility to provide remunerated ancillary services to the national grid (where regulated/permitted);
- the achievement of targets relating to sustainability and the reduction of polluting emissions;
- improvements in safety and resilience thanks to the option to disconnect from the grid in the case of power outages in order to safeguard the continuous supply to critical loads even during potential blackouts;
- cost optimisation concerning the use of energy from the national grid, the generation of distributed sources and the charging of any storage systems, thanks to the microgrid’s own advanced management systems.