Enel X is helping to push the boundaries of public lighting using the most advanced system available today: adaptive lighting which allows street lighting to be modified to suit real traffic, weather and lighting conditions.
Sensors and/or video cameras make it possible to use adaptive lighting in two different ways:
- «TAI» (Traffic Adaptive Installation) Mode, which means that lighting is adapted solely to suit traffic conditions
- «FAI» (Full Adaptive Installation) Mode, which combines traffic, weather and ambient lighting readings to determine light adjustment requirements
- Maximum possible energy saving (enabling a further 20-35% on existing led light sources)
- Optimal street lighting – the adaptive technology automatically regulates the brightness of streetlights in response to weather and road conditions that affect visibility and traffic.
- Prudent application: to keep safety a priority, Enel X does not use this solution at “sensitive” lighting zones (i.e. near pedestrian crossings, roundabouts, etc.) where lighting is kept at maximum brightness at all times
- The opportunity to use the installed technology to provide other innovative street monitoring and safety services.
Our platform solution
For this solution, too, Enel X has developed a digital interface, part of the IoT platform, which gives users a straightforward, flexible way to view, manage and process data and services.
In the context of digital systems, adaptive technology includes platform solutions designed for remote control operations, with a suite of added features. The dashboard functions include:
- Real-time monitoring of the status of the lighting units and sensors
- Configuration of adaptive dimming parameters (e.g. light categories, parameters, levels etc.)
- Visualisation of data on traffic flows, light levels and weather
- Reports on the functioning of installed technology (e.g. data concerning efficiency, energy savings, operation times and indications of peaks in lighting demand relating to events etc.)
- Video surveillance of main roads to identify the registration numbers of vehicles violating vehicle and traffic regulations.
Resources for your city
Find out how to use Enel X's energy as efficiently as possible