Who can participate?
Large electricity users that can reduce electricity consumption—either by curtailing load, or switching to properly permitted on-site generation—are eligible to provide Operating Reserves. Ideal participants have the following characteristics:
- 24x7 or 24x5 operations
- Stable, predictable load profile
- On-site generation with centralized control
- Capable of reducing at least 300 kW load within 10 minutes, most commonly using Enel X control solutions
How much can I earn?
Earnings depend on several factors including hours enrolled in the program, MW reduced, and energy prices. The more you are available, the more you can earn. Enel X will work with you to evaluate earnings potential and optimize your participation based on your operational capabilities.
Operating Reserves Overview
Program Period: Year-round with day-ahead commitments
Program Hours: 24x7x365, you choose when your site participates
- On-peak: 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. MT
- Off-peak: 11:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m. MT
Dispatch Notification: 10-minutes
Dispatch Frequency: Typically 5-10 per year
Dispatch Duration: Ranges from 10-60 minutes
How else does my business benefit?
- Reduced Energy Bills: Since Operating Reserves prices are tied to the AESO Pool Price, you can participate in the program to hedge against high retail energy charges.
- Protect your Operations: The advanced notice you receive provides a window to prepare and prevent costly damage to your processes and equipment preceding a potential blackout.
- Full Control and Customization: You decide when and how many MW to bid into the market. You can opt-in and -out of the market with just one day’s notice. Participate only when it makes sense for your business.
How do I participate in OR?
Enel X works with you to determine a custom partici- pation plan that best suits your site’s operating schedule and financial objectives. Our goal is to maximize your earnings while making participation as simple and hands-off as possible.
- Enel X submits daily market offers on your behalf for the following day (weekend and Monday offers are submitted on Friday).
- When your offers clear, you earn payments for being available to reduce load, if called upon.
- If your capacity is needed, Enel X will notify you to reduce your load within 10 minutes.