The Five Pillars of Circular Economy
Circular economy is based on five pillars that define the areas and methods of use. In particular:
Using renawable energy and renewable, recycable and biodegradable materials in consecutive lifecycles
Design and production involving extension of the product lifecycle by companies. The value that would otherwise be lost by wasting materials and energy is retained or even enhanced by repairs, updates, regeneration or remarketing
PRODUCT AS A SERVICE
The producing company remains the owner of the asset, designed for longevity, and offers clients a service that often includes not only the use of the product but also further related benefits (training, assistance etc.)
Promoting the use of platforms for collaboration among asset and owners to help consumers make savings and derive profit from better use of resources
END OF LIFE
Creating production and consumption systems where assets previously regarded as waste are reused as input for new process
The Five Key Dimensions of the Solutions Offered by Enel X
Enel X analyses its own solutions through five key dimensions, which measure the level of circularity. In particular:
1. The commitment of suppliers to the principles of the circular economy in the creation of the products and services used in the solution;
2. The presence of elements that facilitate the circular consumption model and incentivise its full use and reuse, thereby increasing the life cycle of the product;
3. Benchmarking best practices and programmes to increase efficiency in the use of resources and in the phases of installation and maintenance;
4. The management of the end of life of individual products with innovative and sustainable methods for recovering the materials;
5. The encouragement and support of the development of environmental awareness for clients and the involvement of suppliers in virtuous mechanisms to improve the performance and the environmental impact of the products and services offered.
The Enel X Levels of Circularity
The scale of circularity of Enel X solutions can be measured in five levels – the Enel X Score:
- LEVEL 1 (range 0 - 20): marginal components of Circular Economy are present.
- LEVEL 2 (range 20 - 40): there is a partial use of renewable materials and a preliminary integration of Circular Economy principles in supplying the service.
- LEVEL 3 (range 40 - 60): this guarantees the most sustainable of methods, including during the phases of consumption and product recovery: the principles of Circular Economy are also present, albeit partially, in the supply method.
- LEVEL 4 (range 60 - 80): this guarantees the use of almost totally renewable prime materials in the production process, together with an integration of the principles of Circular Economy in the supply method.
- LEVEL 5 (range 80 - 100): the products and services in this solution have high levels of circularity for the majority of the pillars and dimensions under analysis.
This evaluation of Enel X solutions serves not only to reinforce the circularity of our individual solutions, but also as an instrument of transparency for our clients that makes it easier to recognise the elements of sustainability when comparing the offers.