Description of the work:
Enel X has illuminated St. Francis’ Christmas festivities in Assisi. On behalf of Enel, light projections and images inspired by Giotto’s frescoes were created for the Upper Basilica of St. Francis, the Cathedral of St. Rufino and the path linking them, while illumination was added to enhance and complete the existing system of the monumental complex of St. Clare.
The project, promoted by the Sacro Convento friary in Assisi with the support of Enel, was inaugurated on 8 December and will continue until 10 January. It was made possible thanks to Enel X’s lighting technology, which used latest-generation techniques to create scenic video projections of Giotto’s frescoes as well as an itinerary of shining stars projected onto the pavement to guide visitors along the path that links the various illuminated monuments in the town. Additionally, a lighting system dedicated to the complex of St. Clare has improved appreciation of its architecture and the use of these areas during evening hours. Thanks to the app nataledifrancesco.it, the video projections can be admired on the web too.
Overall energy consumption of the setup is approximately 20kW, with a total of 3 video projectors (16,000 ANSI lumens), 39 projectors for the scenic mapping and itinerary, and 63 projectors providing dynamic colored light.
In particular, Enel X worked on:
- Video-mapping the facade of the Upper Basilica of St. Francis, with projections of Giotto’s “Nativity” fresco and “The Glass Basilica” light show;
- Projection of Giotto’s “The Annunciation” fresco on the facade of the Cathedral of San Rufino;
- Projection of stars inspired by Giotto’s frescoes onto the pathway linking the two sites;
- Lighting to enhance the monumental complex of St. Clare: church facade, flying buttresses and perimeter walls of the convent;
- Scenic lighting of the facade of the Church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, the bell tower and the Palazzo del Capitano;
- Illumination of the nativity scene outside the Basilica and statues around the town.
Enel X in assisi
Articles, case studies and videos to use Enel X energy in the most efficient way